Thursday, July 17, 2008

Crimson Ale, Official Ale of the 2008 Univ. of Alabama Football Season


     This is the label for an Irish Red Ale I brewed on July 16th. This bier is designed to be another low alcohol session brew. What makes this one special though is it's intended purpose. I intend to drink this bier throughout the upcoming 2008 college football season when watching Alabama games. I'm sure I'll have one while watching other games, but that could lead to a problem!  If it's as quaffable as it should be the real challenge will be making it last for three and a half months... or hey I could brew more... problem solved! I'm currently planning my next batches to be a partial mash Hobgobblin clone and another session brew, probably a mild, also for football season.
     This is the recipe for a 5 gallon batch:
7 # Marris Otter
.5 # Carapils
.375 # Caramel 60
.25 # Caramel 120
.25 # British Roasted Barley
1.08 oz. Kent Golding hops with 4.8 AAU
Mash 1.3 U.S. Qts of water per pound of grain @ 154 degrees f.
Sparge with close to 2 U.S. Qts of water per pound of grain @ 178 degrees f.
Safale S-04 yeast pitched onto approx. 2-3 cups of slurry from Breakfast Stout (see below)
Ferment at 60-65 degrees f.

SG 1.042 estimated FG 1.011 estimated abv 4%
IBUs 20 SRM 18

I almost forgot... Roll Tide!

(click on the label to enlarge)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...