Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Competition Time

Earlier today I shipped my entries to the Peach State Brew Off. I had 3 entries:
Category 15A Weizen - Entered my recently brewed Explication hefe brewed with T-58
Prospects: I expect it'll be judged as too fruity for style, too high a fermentation temp.
Category 22C Wood-Aged - Entered 15 month old Northern English Brown wood-aged with hand selected & cured Hickory wood spiced with Bourbon.
Prospects: I feel best about this beer's flavor profile, but it's terribly over-carbed, otherwise it has a shot.
Category 23 Specialty Beer - Entered a 4 month old First Wort Hopped multi-styled ale. Ordinary Bitter strength (3.2% abv), Am. Pale Ale grain bill, and IPA bitterness (70+ smooth IBUs).
Prospects: Have no idea how this one will fair. It's a solid flavorful offering, depends on how the judges approach it.

I have no idea of exactly how large the competition is. However my entries were issued a number 1096-1098. I'm doubting this is a competition with over 1000 entries thus I'm guessing I'm entering biers 96-98. If this is true I'm guessing the competition will have less than 200 entrants, possibly substantially fewer. The cost is $7 per entry thus my cost are as follows:
$7 x 3 = $21 + $9.60 Shipping = $30.60 Competition cost
Plus cost of each bier at $.60 x 6 = $3.60 + $30.60 = $34.20 Total cost

Being honest I'm hoping to do well, but considering this is my first competition I have NO idea of what to expect. No matter the results it's pretty exciting!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...