Monday, April 19, 2010

1314 Strong Scotch Ale

Last Wednesday I brewed up a 4.5 gallon batch of Strong Scotch Ale. I boiled this stuff like nothing before. Took the first gallon and reduced it down to about a quart on the stove top. The full boil was 10 minutes shy of 2 hours. The wort had strong molasses and honey notes, never experienced anything like it before. The fermentation started very early after pitching my huge yeast starter but has been more slow and steady than robust. Quite curious considering the amount of yeast I pitched. Even at a gravity of 1.089 I thought it would rip through it. However I suppose it could be due to the more complex sugars created from higher mash temps and caramelized wort. Below is my label which along with the name celebrates Scottish Independence.


1314 Label

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...